BxBoard® 6-lane Transrectal Prostate Kit
BxBoard® 6-lane Transrectal Prostate Kit
Needle Core Biopsy, 6-lane prostate BxBoard®
Goodbye bottles for small biopsies, hello Lumea BxBoard! Medical personnel place tissue samples on special hydrophilic formalin-soaked sponges within the BxBoards. This tech preserves anatomic orientation, allowing for more specific localization of the disease.
BxBoards are also healthier for MAs, physicians, and lab personnel because they reduce the amount of formaldehyde exposure.
Clinics and surgery centers using the BxBoard report an 83% reduction in containers and an 89% reduction of formalin per prostate case, and an overall 136% reduction in biohazard waste per histology lab.
What are BxBoards?
BxBoards are an efficient, formalin-sparing replacement for formalin bottles that actually improve the integrity of tissues while allowing for unprecedented maintenance of tissue orientation. Core biopsies lay in site-specific lanes on top of a formalin-soaked sponge, significantly reducing the number of containers and labels. The board has a clear plastic lid that ensures formalin preservation and allows for visibility.
What specimen types can the BxBoard hold?
Lumea sells a 6-core BxBoard, ideal for small needle-core biopsies like prostate. It holds 18-20 gauge tissue cores. A typical 12-core prostate sampling would require two 6-lane BxBoards, instead of 12 jars/labels.
Our team is working on a 4-core BxBoard optimized for larger gauge breast core biopsies. The goal is to create better alternatives to bottles for as many specimen types as possible.
How does the BxBoard work with other Lumea technology?
The BxBoard can be used separately or in tandem with the Lumea Smart Tissue Camera® and BxChips®.
A surgery center or other procedure facility can choose to use a Smart Tissue Camera to take an image of the BxBoard without having to remove the board’s lid as an additional chain-of-custody step. BxBoards are also configured with RFID as an additional safety measure.
The BxChip is an engineered tissue-mimetic array that safely holds up to 6 needle-core biopsies in a single cassette throughout tissue processing. It processes and cuts on the microtome just like tissue.
What are the benefits of BxBoards?
Patient Care and Efficiency Benefits
- Surgeons can easily see biopsies on the blue sponge, enabling them to validate the quality of the core right away.
- BxBoards maintain tissue orientation, and labs can maintain this orientation through the histological preparation process with the use of the BxChip. Reports can then display the actual distribution of cancer along the length of the core, distinguishing the capsule from deep tissue and helping guide treatment decisions.
- Curling and fragmentation of tissue cores are dramatically reduced, since they are maintained flat and relatively straight in their narrow lanes, rather than free-floating in formalin jars.
Health and Safety Benefits
- When using a BxBoard, biopsy needles are wiped across a sponge rather than submerged in formalin, which may result in less of the chemical being introduced into the patient during multiple-biopsy procedures.
- Formalin doesn’t need to be dumped down a drain or filtered off during grossing, reducing chemical exposure and spills. BxBoards contain only 33 to 47% of the formalin contained in small specimen bottles.
Harmful if inhaled. Causes skin irritation. Can cause serious eye damage. May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled. May cause an allergic skin reaction. May cause genetic defects. May cause cancer. May cause damage to organs (lungs, nose) through prolonged or repeated exposure.
PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS — PREVENTION:
Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood. Do not breathe in vapors. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Wear NIOSH-approved respiratory protection. Wash your body thoroughly after handling. Wear protective gloves and clothing. Wear eye and face protection. Contaminated work clothing must not be allowed out of the workplace. Obtain special instructions before use. Do not eat, drink, or smoke when using this product.
PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS —
RESPONSE IF IN EYES:
Rinse with water for several minutes and immediately call a doctor. Remove contact lenses, if present, and easy to do so.
RESPONSE IF ON SKIN:
Wash with plenty of water. For specific treatment, see First Aid Measures on SDS. If skin irritation or rash occurs, get medical attention. Take off and wash all contaminated clothing before reuse.
RESPONSE IF INHALED:
If breathing is difficult, get to fresh air and take long, deep breaths. If experiencing more serious respiratory symptoms, call a doctor. Get medical attention and/or call a doctor if you feel unwell or are concerned.
STORAGE & DISPOSAL:
Store locked up. Dispose of contents/container(s) in an approved waste disposal plant.
Read the Safety Data Sheet for additional information.